How we can help with complaints about government departments and agencies in the UK and the NHS in England.

Before contacting us

Have you complained to the organisation and received a final response?

The Ombudsman will normally only take on a complaint after you have first tried to resolve the complaint with the organisation involved and have received a response from them. The Ombudsman believes that the organisation should be given a chance to respond and, where appropriate, try to put things right before she becomes involved.

Complaints about government departments and agencies

By law, an MP will need to refer your complaint to us if it is about a government department or agency.

If you are still unhappy after you have completed this process, then you will need to ask an MP to refer the complaint to us. To find out who your local MP is, go to external link opens in a new window or contact the House of Commons Information Office on 020 7219 4272.

You can download a complaint form which gives all the information you need to make a complaint to the Ombudsman or call us on 0345 015 4033 to request a copy.

See a list of bodies within our jurisdiction and please note that this list is not comprehensive, so if you are unsure about whether or not we can look into the matter, please call our helpline on 0345 015 4033.

Complaints about the NHS in England

If you would like to make a complaint about the NHS in England, please use our online complaint form.

If you are unsure about what to do next, or would like further help and advice, then please contact our Helpline on 0345 015 4033.

Don't forget to include the organisation's final response with your completed form.


Which organisations can we investigate?

There are a number of Government departments and other public bodies which the Ombudsman can investigate.

Read more

Customer Satisfaction Research

What our customers think

Read more