By law the Ombudsman cannot look into complaints about privately-funded healthcare services.

The Ombudsman can look at complaints about NHS-funded healthcare services provided in a private hospital. The Ombudsman can also look at complaints about any NHS-funded healthcare services which are given to privately-funded patients in an NHS hospital. If you think your treatment falls into this category you will need to complete the NHS complaints procedure before the Ombudsman will look at your complaint. Alternatively, contact us for more information.

If you have a complaint only about privately-funded healthcare services, you will need to complain to the healthcare provider directly in the first instance.

Once you have a response to your complaint, you may have the option of going to the Independent Sector Complaints Adjudication Service (ISCAS) which represents some independent healthcare providers. They have a Complaints Code of Practice which includes an independent adjudication service. You can find out whether the organisation you have a complaint about is a member and access their complaint forms here-

Alternatively, if your complaint is about privately funded Dental or Optical Treatment, you can contact the Dental Complaints Service or the Optical Consumer Complaints Service who may be able to help.