The Ombudsman is unable to look at complaints about social care.

You should contact the Local Government Ombudsman who will be able to tell you how to take forward your complaint. Social care describes the activities, services and relationships that help people to be active, healthy and, where possible, independent. It is about helping people to do day-to-day things like:

  • Washing and dressing;
  • Working;
  • Cooking;
  • Shopping;
  • Caring for a family; or 
  • Living in their home.

It also includes providing residential care for those who can't live independently.

The reasons why people might need care and support include:

  • Accidents;
  • Long term illnesses;
  • Being disabled; or 
  • Growing older.

Contact details:

Local Government Ombudsman
PO Box 4771
Coventry CV4 0EH

Tel: 0300 061 0614

Website: in new window


However, the Ombudsman may, jointly with the Local Government Ombudsman, consider complaints about the provision of both health and social care funded by the NHS or local councils in England. A complaint can be made to any one of the individual Ombudsmen who will consider whether a joint investigation might be appropriate. If your complaint involves both health and social care, please telephone us for further advice on 0345 015 4033.