We are the Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman, an independent national ombudsman service. We are here to make final decisions on complaints that are yet to be resolved by the NHS in England, UK government departments, and some other public organisations. We do this fairly and transparently without taking sides, and our service is completely free.
About the role
We are looking for experienced Consultants in General Medicine to join our Clinical Advice Team on a part-time basis. The team is responsible for the provision of all clinical advice to the Ombudsman, and as a Clinical Adviser you will provide both verbal and written advice to our independent Casework Teams.
The Clinical Adviser role suits an experienced Consultant looking for flexibility and variety in their work.
You will support the delivery of the health casework process by providing high-quality, timely professional medical advice to Casework staff on clinical issues raised in complaints.
New clinical advisers will participate in a short induction programme designed to equip them with the skills, knowledge, and information they will need for their new role.
If your practice in a specialism not listed here and would be interested in providing PHSO with advice in your specialism, please visit our careers page via our website, as we have openings for ad hoc external advisory roles.
A PHSO Internal Clinical Advisor in General Medicine will:
• Provide evidence-based clinical advice to caseworkers
• Provide clinical advice within their area of competence on aspects of clinical care and clinical systems, on a range of cases at all stages of the casework process
• Support the PHSO key strategic objectives by being active in quality assurance activities and sharing the learning from complaints to enhance clinical practice and patient care
• Manage own workload to ensure that all requests are completed within the identified timescales
• Work effectively as part of the Clinical Advice team, contributing to discussions and developments to enhance the provision of Clinical Advice.
It is essential for our Clinical Advisers to continue working in the NHS, this ensures that our clinicians bring current and up-to-date knowledge and experience to our organisation.
Our ideal Consultant:
• Is an experienced Consultant in General Medicine with appropriate post-graduate qualifications and relevant specialist qualifications
• Is currently practising as a Consultant in General Medicine with active on-call commitments within the NHS
• Is familiar with the NHS complaints processes
• Has knowledge of current standards, guidelines and research sources that apply to clinical matters and of wider NHS policy and guidance, including experience of assessing students and dealing with trainees
• Has the ability to make sound judgments and provide clinically accurate advice that is objective, measured and evidence-based
If you have any questions regarding this role please email email@example.com
We offer an extremely generous benefits package, which includes:
· Civil Service Pension scheme (minimum 26.6% employer contribution)
· Generous basic holiday entitlement of 30 days plus 2.5 extra-statutory holidays on top
· Flexitime. Our core hours of work are between 10.00-12.00 and 14.00-16.00
· If you work additional hours, you can accrue an extra 2 days of Flexi-leave each month
· Access to a wide variety of internal and external wellbeing support & programmes
Equality, Diversion, and Inclusion
We understand the importance of a workplace culture that values difference, where people feel they belong and have the tools to support them and their career development. We also recognize that a diverse workforce allows us to better reflect the communities we serve and understand their experiences so we can provide a service that meets their requirements.
Further information on our EDI Strategy, Employee Networks, and participation in the Disability Confident Scheme can be found in our job pack.
If you want to join a dedicated team that makes a real difference and helps raise standards in public services, then this might be the opportunity for you. Please apply via this link.
PLEASE NOTE: We can only consider applications from candidates who have the right to work in the UK.
How to apply
Please submit your CV and Supporting Statement by 10am 14th March 2022.