​Unfortunately we cannot look at complaints about telecommunications companies or internet service providers.

Your telephone or internet provider will be covered by one of the organisations below. They should tell you which one you should approach to take your complaint forward.

Ombudsman Services

Ombudsman Services may be able to help if you have an unresolved complaint about your internet or telephone provider. They handle disputes between consumers and communication companies that are signed up to their scheme.

Communications and Internet Services Adjudication Scheme (CISAS)

CICAS is an independent adjudication service. They try to sort out disputes between consumers and communications providers.


PhonepayPlus considers complaints about premium rate telephone services. These include television programme voting, competitions, helplines, adult entertainment, downloads, news alerts and interactive games.

Office of Communications (Ofcom)

Ofcom is the regulator for the UK communications industries. They have responsibilities across television, radio, telecommunications and wireless communication services.