​The Victims' Code

We can consider complaints that an organisation has not met its obligations under the Victims’ Code.

The Code of Practice for Victims of Crime (the Victims' Code) requires criminal justice agencies to provide a standard of service to victims of crime or their relatives (if the victim died as a result of the crime).

  • Criminal justice agencies must provide victims, or their relatives, with information about the crime, including about arrests, prosecutions and court decisions.
  • They must provide information about eligibility for compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme.
  • Victims must be told about victim support services and be referred on to them or offered their service.
  • Bereaved relatives must be assigned a family liaison police officer.
  • Victims of an offender who receives a sentence of 12 months or more after being convicted of a sexual or violent offence have the opportunity to make representations about the licence conditions or supervision requirements the offender should be subject to when they come out of prison.

If you are a victim of crime in England and Wales and believe a criminal justice agency has not given you the service set out in the Code, you should first complain direct to the agency concerned. If you are still unhappy after that, you should contact an MP and ask them to refer your complaint to us.

If you have any questions about making a complaint under the Victims' Code, please contact our Helpline on 0345 015 4033.