This survey is now closed. Thank you to all who took part. The results of the survey will be fed into our clinical advice review.
To meet a commitment we made in our new strategy for 2018-21, we are now conducting a major review of our clinical advice process.
This is to ensure that our use of clinical advice is consistent with our new organisational values of independence, fairness, excellence and transparency.
Around 88% of our casework relates to complaints about NHS bodies. Last year we conducted some 2,500 health investigations. We requested advice from clinicians in almost three-quarters of these cases.
It is therefore essential that:
- we ask the right questions about the clinical issues that arise in a case
- the responses we receive are of the right quality
- it is clear to complainants and NHS bodies how this has informed our final decision.
Share your views
We are keen to receive feedback from people who use our service as well as healthcare professionals, complaint handlers and those with experience of using clinical advice in other settings.
We are seeking views on:
- the quality of the clinical content of our casework
- the transparency of how and why clinical advice is used
- the Ombudsman’s new Clinical Standard.
You can download copies of the consultation paper and background paper for the clinical advice review below.
Clinical advice review: consultation paper (PDF 589KB)
Clinical advice review: background paper (PDF 1.18MB)
How to submit your feedback
Please email any questions or comments to ClinicalAdviceReview@ombudsman.org.uk
The consultation closes on Monday 15 October 2018.